Pages

7/05/2011

You say Potato I say Spud!

So having left Ireland to spread my wings I came to New York City...... one of the greatest cities in the English speaking western world.  I had no idea that on arriving in an English speaking country that there could be such confusion over certain words used for certain things.  I can't count the amount of times i have asked for something, said something or stood in a shop asking for an item using the Irish/English word for it and the looks of bewilderment and confusion that followed.  As if speaking faster than the speed of light and having a Northern Irish accent wasn't confusing enough to Americans there was somewhat of a language barrier now too.  
When I first came to America it was in June of 2000, I was Twenty and a bit of a greenhorn straight of the boat as we all usually are when we first arrive in the land of the free.  This was also back when I was a smoker.  Now in Ireland the slang word for cigarettes is "fags', this is widely and almost always used in Ireland when buying, asking for and offering cigarettes, you would say 'gimme a fag', or 'do ya want a fag?' or in a shop you would ask for  'Twenty fags please'.  On one of the first days i was here i was staying in Sunnyside in Queens, I was not familiar with where the stores and delis were so I left the apt and went for a walk to find one because I needed cigarettes, I was walking around for a little while and it was hot out so i decided instead of wandering around aimlessly in the 80 degree heat id ask a passer by.  I proceeded to stop a very nice older lady on the street and ask her if she knew where i could buy some fags?  (not thinking about the fact that in America 'Fag' is a derogatory slang word for gay men) As you can imagine the nice lady was a bit taken back by the question, she replied back 'no im sorry i can't help you with that' and continued in a faster pace on down the street.  Needless to say after walking a few more blocks it dawned on me what I had just done, although this didn't stop me in the next few weeks from making the same mistake again a few times in shops and elsewhere (old habits die hard).  It took me a few more weeks to get used to calling cigarettes.....cigarettes.   

Here are some other words that are different on opposite sides of the Atlantic.


In Ireland -

  • Drapes are curtains (thats an easy one)
  • Children are waines or waynes
  • Diapers are nappies
  • Binkys or pacifiers are Dummies or Do do's (This is another embarrassing one when you walk into Duane Reade or the Pharmacy and ask...Where are the Dummies!?!?) 
  • Bangs are fringes
  • Mail or mail men/women are Post or postmen/women
  • Garbage is rubbish
  • Trucks are lorry's
  • SUV's are jeeps 
  • Cell phones are mobiles
  • Sneakers are slippers
  • Gas is petrol or diesel
  • A hero is someone who saves your life not a piece of bread
  • A roll is a bap
  • A Milky Way is a Mars and a Musketeer is a Milky Way
  • The sidewalk is the footpath
  • The trash is the bin
  • Potatos are Spuds
  • Soda is fizzy juice
  • A Stroller is a pram
  • Kindergarten is Play school
  • Vacations are holidays
  • Carnivals are Fairs
  • Fava Beans are Broad beans
  • Beets are beetroot
  • Cookies are biscuits
  • Candy is sweets
  • The liquor store is an Off Licence
There are loads more that i cant think of right now, if there are any that you can think of post them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think so please leave your opinion/comment.....thanks!